Wednesday, July 14, 2010

solar power surprise

One of the things that I can say for sure is that I have no idea what's going to happen any given day at the orphan home. Sometimes things come as surprises to the children and houseparents as well, but mostly it is my inability to know the Nepalese language. The unknown while in a foreign country or situation can be unsettling, but for me it is part of the greatness of staying at Harka.

Just a few days ago, for instance, a man came by asking if he could give any haircuts. Being set more or less on the back roads of the nearest village, salesmen will come by with vegetables, fruit, umbrellas, or some kitchenware for a more door-to-door convenience. This man came by with a skill. Laxmi had, the day before, asked if I would give a handful of the children haircuts so without Britta's natural gift to concede to, I concured. This godsend of a man swept in just in time to save the eczema and lice-ridden heads of Ashish, Jamuna, Ganga, and Manesa from my unsteady hand. In less than 10 minutes and for less than $1, all four children were fresh and clean and giddy from being in the spotlight. Perhaps this barber's presence was even more significant to me because I am currently in the middle of reading Wendell Berry's Jayber Crow. Jayber is a barber, and if you've read his story then he has certainly become a good friend. This man made me think of my friend.

And yesterday, the children and I were fightin the sweat on a rather uncomfortable afternoon when within a matter of 30 minutes a whole host of things started movin and shakin. I mostly just sat on the bench with J Crow in hand, trying to make sense of such synchronism. First, there were four men working in the rice fields who came onto our property for some water and shade. They looked at me with such conviction and wonderment...I smiled and looked into my book or held a child.

Moments after their arrival, Sita told me to take the bicycle to the end of the road where I was to meet Laxmi and the 'solar men'. Now this is when I realize I don't have a clue what's going on. After going with Lax to the market on two separate days to withdraw money that so many friends and family had given me to give to Harka, Laxmi didn't exactly communicate that the solar panel system was going to be installed--immediately. I shouldn't exactly be surprised, but considering the culture in which I was born and bred, things depictly take time. Here in Bharatpur, two young guys equipped with Japanese solar panels, electrical wire, one converter and two enormous batteries began their work.




Laxmi was busy (she is rarely anything but) with the kids or the solar men or the rice men when another guy hops off his motorcycle. Apparently, he was in the neighborhood to impregnate our cow with an armful of injections. The children were having a heyday at this point with so many people and excitement. I typically enjoy the stillness that is everything save the kids' chaos, but today I was particularly thrilled about the solar being installed. Talk about money being put to use. By that night we were the only home within our peripheral that had electricity. There was a sense of pride in the kids and for me knowing that the eight young ones who squish together in one large bed would have a fan working against the heat tonight.

So thank you to all who gave money to this project...Laxmi has been mentioning it since Britta and I were here over two years ago. I speak on behalf of the adults and snotty children when I say that everyone is grateful for your generosity.

A few days ago Kanchi took my makeover one step further and added red henna in my hair...I'm about to have Sita put it back to black. I can only take so much crazy.

1 comment:

Mandy P. said...

Wow, that's really great. I guess I really didn't realize how big of an impact such a small thing would have! I suppose I take my nightly electricity for granted.